[User] bridged configuration

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Mon Jan 12 10:26:40 PST 2015

On 11/01/2015 3:20 pm, Ranganathan Krishnan wrote:
> There doesn’t seem to be a way to tell it what TCP/IP network settings
> to use,
>
> Again, this is by design. What do you want to achieve ? Some things are
> simple while others will require you to become more familiar with
> openwrt.
>
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/start

Thanks, I don't mind spending some time getting to know the system and
fiddling around with it as time permits.  So long as I know that it's
not going to be impossible.

> Rather can you please explain the problem you are trying to solve.
> Perhaps there is a way to achieve without large changes.

Here is what my network looks like:

+---------+    +-------+    +-------+
|DSL modem+----+ Linux +----+ Apple |
+---------+    |  box  |    |airport|
               +---+---+    +-+----++
                   |          |    |
                   |          |    |
                +--+--+       +    +
                | VPS |      eth  wifi
                +-----+

The DSL modem is currently in bridge mode which means it is invisible to
the network, the Linux box receives the WAN IP address from my ISP and
is currently doing the NAT and DHCP, and the Airport is also in bridge
mode and is only responsible for putting its ethernet ports and wifi
onto the same network as the Linux box.

The problem with using the Apple airport for Open Wireless is that it
doesn't support a guest network when it is in bridge mode.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org