[User] bridged configuration

Ranganathan Krishnan rk at selwastor.com
Wed Jan 14 17:42:40 PST 2015

On Jan 12, 2015, at 10:26 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org> wrote:

>> Rather can you please explain the problem you are trying to solve.
>> Perhaps there is a way to achieve without large changes.
>
> Here is what my network looks like:
>
> +---------+    +-------+    +-------+
> |DSL modem+----+ Linux +----+ Apple |
> +---------+    |  box  |    |airport|
>                +---+---+    +-+----++
>                    |          |    |
>                    |          |    |
>                 +--+--+       +    +
>                 | VPS |      eth  wifi
>                 +-----+
>
> The DSL modem is currently in bridge mode which means it is invisible to the network, the Linux box receives the WAN IP address from my ISP and is currently doing the NAT and DHCP, and the Airport is also in bridge mode and is only responsible for putting its ethernet ports and wifi onto the same network as the Linux box.

So the OpenWireless router is to replace the Apple airport, I assume.

How important is it that the ethernet ports and wifi be on the same network
as the linux box ? If it is not critical (if some thing breaks because of
additional networks for eth and wifi let me know, there are probably
relatively simple changes on the openwireless router that can fix
that).

Alternatively (and preferable from a security viewpoint) is to connect the
WAN port on the OW router to the DSL modem and let it get address from
ISP via DHCP and do the NAT. Then have your linux box connect to an
ethernet port on the OW router (possibly with additional NAT).    That way
the openwireless traffic never comes inside your network -- going straight
to the ISP. We put in strong firewall rules to prevent OW users from
accessing  anything on your internal network. If there are certain ports that
need to be opened on the OW router so services on the Linux box/VPS
are accessible, that is relatively easy to do.

Let me know if either of these options will work for you.

Ranga