[User] bridged configuration

Ranganathan Krishnan rk at selwastor.com
Sun Jan 11 15:20:14 PST 2015

Hi Jeremy,

On Jan 11, 2015, at 1:46 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org> wrote:

> I just acquired an Open Wireless router with version OWrt MVP-HOPE r41336 3.10.44-6 firmware,

Congrats ! We'll find a way to make it work for you.

> and the web interface seems to be a bit sparse.

That is by design. Anything not possible in the Web-UI  is considered
"Advanced" and requires you to ssh into the router and change
configuration.

> There doesn’t seem to be a way to tell it what TCP/IP network settings to use,

Again, this is by design. What do you want to achieve ? Some things are
simple while others will require you to become more familiar with openwrt.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/start

> or a way to switch between into a bridged configuration so that it wouldn’t do NAT or DHCP for other devices (at least for the private network; for the openwireless.org network it doesn’t matter if it does).  Is that possible?

Yes it is possible.  You will need something like

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doku.php?id=oldwiki:wirelessbridgewithwpahowto

though that link may not be quite up to date.

Once you make a major change like that you are invalidating
the assumptions on which Web-UI and security are built. So you should
expect things in the Web-UI to break.

Rather can you please explain the problem you are trying to solve.
Perhaps there is a way to achieve without large changes.

>  I am OK with using SSH.  Sorry if I missed some documentation somewhere.  There wasn’t any in the box.

No you didn't miss anything. openwireless.org, this mailing list and
openwrt.org are your documentation.

Ranga