[OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking

"Andy Green (林安廸)" andy at warmcat.com
Sun Nov 4 22:50:10 PST 2012

On 11/05/12 10:14, the mail apparently from Christian Huitema included:

Hi -

> That might work for laptops, but that feels rather hard to implement on
> a smartphone. And it seems a bit far from the model of “open wireless.”

No VPN-only is perfectly consonant with "open wireless".  The wireless
part can then be literally open in a way it daren't be without it.

If you look at captive portals in WLANs, where you are not given service
until you click through in a browser, your phone now signals to you that
you can get a connection by doing that even before association.

This can be handled the same way

  - one-time, put pre-shared key in your home router
  - one-time, setup VPN to your home dynamic DNS with pre-shared key

then when roaming

  - phone says there's a VPN-only AP available
  - click notification, associates, select VPN to use if more than one,
if only one set up immediately use it

> Can’t we think of a solution that does not require the visitor to do
> anything special? A true “open wireless” should mean just that, click
> connect and be there.

See above, when connecting this is less hassle than a captive portal
clickthrough.

-Andy