[OpenWireless Tech] Hello World

Todd Freeman todd at chiwifi.net
Thu Nov 1 07:05:17 PDT 2012

That is one thing I have been wondering about a lot, why go with
unencrypted wireless when there are so many wireless services already in
existence, using open source software,  which allow for centralized user
database ?

It just seems that would be more robust, for instance, currently there
is not really a community built around this (openwireless) as far as I
can tell, it feels like it was created in response to the technical
hurdles of mesh type networks (and the overhead). Thus while technically
simple (for a small number of routers) there is no real communication
between the hosts, and no incentive to communicate, which will lead to
stagnation (if that has not already happened).

I think there are a lot of people interested in this sort of thing (city
wide wifi has been thrown around a lot lately) who have either the
equipment or finance to help a project like this, but not the skill.

There are already opensource projects in the same vein, such as
openwisp, but the documentation is mostly in italian. So I guess my
question here is, is there anyone on this list who would like to help me
develop a guide for setting up wifi on a city wide scale, that we can
then propose to cities who are interested ?

I already have the infrastructure in place and running (I standardized
on ubiquity hardware), I have only been having difficulty setting up the
auth system.