[OpenWireless Tech] Hello World

michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Thu Nov 1 08:34:41 PDT 2012

Hi!

On 09:05 Thu 01 Nov     , Todd Freeman wrote:
> That is one thing I have been wondering about a lot, why go with
> unencrypted wireless when there are so many wireless services already in
> existence, using open source software,  which allow for centralized user
> database ?

Can you clarify what you need by "central user database"? What information
should be stored in there and how should this help?

> It just seems that would be more robust, for instance, currently there
> is not really a community built around this (openwireless) as far as I
> can tell, it feels like it was created in response to the technical
> hurdles of mesh type networks (and the overhead). Thus while technically
> simple (for a small number of routers) there is no real communication
> between the hosts, and no incentive to communicate, which will lead to
> stagnation (if that has not already happened).

You've lost me here.

> I think there are a lot of people interested in this sort of thing (city
> wide wifi has been thrown around a lot lately) who have either the
> equipment or finance to help a project like this, but not the skill.
>
> There are already opensource projects in the same vein, such as
> openwisp, but the documentation is mostly in italian. So I guess my
> question here is, is there anyone on this list who would like to help me
> develop a guide for setting up wifi on a city wide scale, that we can
> then propose to cities who are interested ?

Take a look here:
http://wndw.net/
There are a lot of other guides out there, too.

> I already have the infrastructure in place and running (I standardized
> on ubiquity hardware), I have only been having difficulty setting up the
> auth system.

What auth system?

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com