[HTTPS-Everywhere] How it works?

Jacob Hoffman-Andrews jsha at eff.org
Fri Jul 10 10:54:05 PDT 2015

On 07/10/2015 09:12 AM, Nojsh wrote:
> First I would like to know, how the normal *-latest.xpi version works
> without having the xml-rules included in the addon file, does it load
> them each time Iam visiting a website?
The xml rulesets are assembled into a single sqlite file at build time,
to improve startup performance.
> further, I did a git clone of the project and wanted to create a trivial
> rule. Ok i can do it manually, but here:
> https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/development you wrote about a
> script that should be included in the rules directory, but there is none
> in my clone?!
There should be one at src/chrome/content/rules/make-trivial-rule. If
it's not there, try cloning again?
> What different versions exist? stable, latest, master? and master is the
> developing version that Iam going to get when I clone it from git? Iam a
> little bit confused

We used to have two release versions: stable and development. However,
we changed our release process so there's only a single stable release.
There's also the master branch of the git repo, which consists of all
the changes that we've made up to the very latest moment, and often
includes stuff that isn't in the latest release. To run the version of
HTTPS Everywhere on master, check out the repo and run ./test.sh --justrun.