[HTTPS-Everywhere] HTTPS-Everywhere breaks YouTube even when disabled

Erik Harris erik at eharrishome.com
Sun Jun 26 08:30:52 PDT 2011

For the last few months, I've noticed that the "Expand" button on
YouTube videos hasn't worked. I finally decided to sit down and
troubleshoot it by disabling all of my extensions and re-enabling them
systematically to determine which one breaks the function. With all
extensions enabled except HTTPS-Everywhere, the button worked.

Even though the YouTube HTTPS rule is disabled, the culprit is one of
HTTPS-Everywhere's rules. (I'm using 0.9.9.dev.6, though the problem
predates this version).  If I "Restore to defaults," the problem still
exists. If I disable ALL HTTPS-Everywhere rules (but keep the extension
enabled), the problem goes away. And of course, if I "Restore to
defaults" again, the problem comes back.

Does anyone know which rule is breaking this YouTube function?  With
hundreds of rules in the list, I'm not willing to go through the list
and narrow it down to the problematic rule. :) I did test the obvious
possibilities (Google APIs, Google Services), and they don't fix it.

To be clear, I'm on http://www.youtube.com/etc, and NOT
https://www.youtube.com/etc.

--

Erik Harris                               http://www.eHarrisHome.com
-               AIM: KngFuJoe - Yahoo IM: kungfujoe7               -

"In the long history of humankind (and animal kind, too) those who
learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed." -
Charles Darwin