[HTTPS-Everywhere] Question concerning the HTTPS Everywhere Firefox extension

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Sat Aug 6 15:26:38 PDT 2011

Hi Elliot,

There are three ways one can toggle each ruleset in the 1.0 release:

1. Through the preferences window, which is a vertically scrolling list of all
the rulesets.  The accessibility problem there might be that there is a tick
or a cross button next to each rule.  We will look into whether there is a way to add
alternative text to those.

2. There is a "context" menu that by default lives in Firefox's toolbar menu,
but can be relocated.  That (usually) contains a list of the rules that are applicable
to the current page, and if you select any of them they will be toggled.
Again we have the problem that there is a visual tick/cross indication of the
current state for each rule.  We'll add tooltip text.

3. In the about:config page in the browser, if you search for
https_everywhere, you will find one setting for each of the 1000+ rulesets.
This UI should currently be accessible but not very efficient.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131