[HTTPS-Everywhere] Android

Colonel Graff graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 12:00:29 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Mike Perry <mikeperry at fscked.org> wrote:

> Thus spake Colonel Graff (graffatcolmingov at gmail.com):
>
> > I just recently purchased my own Android phone and was wondering if it
> was
> > at all possible for there to be a version of Https Everywhere for FireFox
> > mobile. Even if it has to use the ssl observatory it would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> Mozilla seems to have decided to use their mobile browser to roll out
> weird experimental platform features at the expense of API
> compatibility and sanity. I attempted a port here:
>
> The major issue is that the new multiprocess model is not sane about
> event delivery, IPC efficiency, and scoping. The AdBlock Plus people
> have some workarounds, but I was waiting to see if Mozilla might come
> to their senses and clean up the mobile APIs a bit to make them more
> compatible first.. I do not have the time/energy to fight with more
> broken and insane APIs. I've done enough of that for a lifetime
> already..
>
> However, the pieces are there in that bug, if someone wants to read up
> on the issues and try to contact the right AdBlock Plus dev who knows
> why they did the hacks that they did, and if we can expect them to be
> stable and secure going forward.
>
> It also looks as though Giorgio is committed to continuing down the
> Mozilla rabbit hole to support the Firefox mobile multiprocess model:
> http://noscript.net/nsa/
>
> If he ports the IOUtil and redirect mechanisms we use to this model,
> we may be able to merge them back in to HTTPS-Everywhere and get
> support for mobile that way. Sadly, it looks like the HTTPS support is
> not currently on his roadmap though (unless it is part of the ABE
> machinery).
>

> --
> Mike Perry
> Mad Computer Scientist
> fscked.org evil labs

> I sincerely appreciate the information.  One of my work-around's has been
to use Proxy Mobile in conjunction with ConnectBot's SOCKS implementation.
I would guess that with a rooted droid phone, one would be able to install
an
app which might be able to do this as requests leave the phone in general by
using a proxy-like configuration. I don't really know though, and have no
experience in developing android apps (and don't particularly like Java).
Just a thought.

Thanks again,
Graff