[HTTPS-Everywhere] Android

Mike Perry mikeperry at fscked.org
Tue Aug 2 11:13:49 PDT 2011

Thus spake Colonel Graff (graffatcolmingov at gmail.com):

> I just recently purchased my own Android phone and was wondering if it was
> at all possible for there to be a version of Https Everywhere for FireFox
> mobile. Even if it has to use the ssl observatory it would be greatly
> appreciated.

Mozilla seems to have decided to use their mobile browser to roll out
weird experimental platform features at the expense of API
compatibility and sanity. I attempted a port here:

The major issue is that the new multiprocess model is not sane about
event delivery, IPC efficiency, and scoping. The AdBlock Plus people
have some workarounds, but I was waiting to see if Mozilla might come
to their senses and clean up the mobile APIs a bit to make them more
compatible first.. I do not have the time/energy to fight with more
broken and insane APIs. I've done enough of that for a lifetime
already..

However, the pieces are there in that bug, if someone wants to read up
on the issues and try to contact the right AdBlock Plus dev who knows
why they did the hacks that they did, and if we can expect them to be
stable and secure going forward.

It also looks as though Giorgio is committed to continuing down the
Mozilla rabbit hole to support the Firefox mobile multiprocess model:
http://noscript.net/nsa/

If he ports the IOUtil and redirect mechanisms we use to this model,
we may be able to merge them back in to HTTPS-Everywhere and get
support for mobile that way. Sadly, it looks like the HTTPS support is
not currently on his roadmap though (unless it is part of the ABE
machinery).

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist