[HTTPS-Everywhere] loose rulesets (hostname termination)

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Sep 27 10:31:58 PDT 2010

On 09/27/2010 01:15 PM, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Daniel Kahn Gillmor writes:
>
>> hey folks--
>>
>> this might be nit-picking, but i'm a bit concerned that some of the
>> rulesets i see in the git repo are too loose.
>>
>> For example, NYTimes.xml contains:
>>
>>> <ruleset name="NYTimes">
>>>   <rule from="^http://(www\.)?nytimes\.com" to="https://www.nytimes.com"/>
>>> </ruleset>
>>
>> which matches things like http://nytimes.commerce.com/, afaict.
>
> This is what we discussed earlier as the "trailing slash issue".  There
> is a bug in our bug tracker about it and my conclusion is that every
> rule should include a trailing slash; the ones that don't are buggy for
> exactly the reason you mention.  I think I have a longer discussion of
> this somewhere in the mailing list archives. :-)

ah, thanks.  sorry for the repeat -- i just joined the list.

fwiw, here's the link to the mailing list discussion, which contains a
link to the ticket:

 https://mail1.eff.org/pipermail/https-everywhere/2010-July/000098.html

Can i offer a changeset that adds the trailing slash to all the missing
rulesets?

(i'd opted for ($|/) instead of just / because i wasn't sure that
http://whatever.com would get translated properly, but if you've tested
it, i agree that the simplicity of / is better.)

	--dkg