[HTTPS-Everywhere] loose rulesets (hostname termination)

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Mon Sep 27 10:15:21 PDT 2010

Daniel Kahn Gillmor writes:

> hey folks--
>
> this might be nit-picking, but i'm a bit concerned that some of the
> rulesets i see in the git repo are too loose.
>
> For example, NYTimes.xml contains:
>
> > <ruleset name="NYTimes">
> >   <rule from="^http://(www\.)?nytimes\.com" to="https://www.nytimes.com"/>
> > </ruleset>
>
> which matches things like http://nytimes.commerce.com/, afaict.

This is what we discussed earlier as the "trailing slash issue".  There
is a bug in our bug tracker about it and my conclusion is that every
rule should include a trailing slash; the ones that don't are buggy for
exactly the reason you mention.  I think I have a longer discussion of
this somewhere in the mailing list archives. :-)

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                    https://www.eff.org/
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110     +1 415 436 9333 x107