[HTTPS-Everywhere] -1

Evan Prodromou evan at status.net
Thu Oct 14 12:46:24 PDT 2010

Here's my quick feedback on HTTPS-everywhere, from a service providers'
perspective.

On our service, we only have certain sensitive pages linked under HTTPS.
The vast majority are linked under HTTP. You can get to them with HTTPS,
but they won't work well.

Why? Because HTTPS is costly. Tricks that we use to spread lots of hits
over many cheap servers don't work with HTTPS. If we were to use HTTPS
for all pages, say, we'd probably need twice as many  Web servers.

Our software's Open Source and federated, so if someone wants to run it
on their own server with SSL enabled all the time (we support that),
they can.

But if everyone used HTTPS-everywhere to access our servers, it would
mean we'd have to shut down our service for everyone.

-Evan

Evan Prodromou, CEO
StatusNet Inc., 1124 rue Marie-Anne Est #32, Montreal, QC H2J 2T5
T: 438-380-4801 x101 C: 514-554-3826 W: http://evan.status.net/ E:
evan at status.net