[HTTPS-Everywhere] Scalability

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Thu Oct 14 10:31:49 PDT 2010

https-everywhere at lists.grepular.com writes:

> Whilst I'm all for this project in principal and love being able to
> contribute rules, it concerns me that it doesn't scale well. What
> happens if we end up with 10s or 100s of thousands of rules? Has this
> been considered?

Yes, there have been several earlier discussions where we talked about
wanting to use a hash table so that the match_rule stuff will become
more efficient.

We've also talked about wanting to make the user interface work usefully
for larger numbers of rules (it already won't work properly for the 200
rules we have).  One common thread is that we think we want to become
more like AdBlock Plus in terms of how our rules are collected and
distributed and how users view them.

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                    https://www.eff.org/
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110     +1 415 436 9333 x107