[HTTPS-Everywhere] Direction of https-everywhere

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Tue Jul 6 12:32:09 PDT 2010

Hi NoHTTP,

These are great questions.  Currently the hope is that we should eventually
merge any rule that seems to be clearly in the interests of HTTPS
Everywhere users.  Before we can do that, however, we need to implement this
performance enhancement:

So that adding rulesets doesn't make HTTPS Everywhere slower.

There's a patch in the torpoject bugtracker from an inimitable character named
"bee" that purports to solve this; Mike and I haven't had time to review that
or implement something different yet.

As your post notes, there are some UI issues that need to be addressed about
how the rulesets are presented.   One thing to do is this:

Which would allow the UI to scale to perhaps 100-200 rules.  It would also
allow separate categories for local User Rules, of course.

A good solution to your wishlist item #4 would probably make the UI even more
scalable than that, if the user can use a context menu to quickly see and
enable/disable any rules that might be applicable to recently visited sites.

Your wishlist's #1 and #3 are not really near the top of our todo list yet, so
those would be good targets for patches if you're up to it.  I'm happy to
offer pointers on where to get started in the code.