[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Lenovo rules break the EPP page and the "Friends and Family" redirect

Josh Triplett josh at joshtriplett.org
Thu Sep 1 11:00:42 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 09:29:23AM +0100, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> On 01/09/11 07:54, Josh Triplett wrote:
> >> Lenovo has a "friends and family" site, with a redirect at
> >> http://lenovo.com/friendsandfamily .  This redirect does not work if
> >> accessed via https, so it breaks with the Lenovo rules enabled.  (It
> >> redirects to a page on shop.lenovo.com with a ridiculously long URL, and
> >> that page works fine with https.)
> >>
> >> The page at http://lenovo.com/epp also doesn't exist on the https
> >> version of the site, so it breaks with the Lenovo rules enabled as well.
> >
> > Browsing on Lenovo's site, I encountered more breakage as well.  For
> > example, the page for the Lenovo T520 failed to load most of the page
> > content when accessed via https, but it works fine via http.  I think
> > the Lenovo rule may need disabling by default.
>
> Hmmm, that ruleset was created by me. I managed to browse around the
> site for a bit, and even place an order whilst it was enabled, without
> issue. I've fixed the epp and friendsandfamily issues in my local
> ruleset. I just looked at the T520 page and am not seeing any problems.
> What is the exact URL you are looking at?

https://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/lenovofamily/StdAffinityPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=1A6A3D02F7AA4873976FC8168DDA8C77&current-category-id=7162ACCF009D2872F8BA28660C1EC3B5&action=init

I have no confidence that that URL will remain working, but you can
reach that page by starting from lenovo.com/friendsandfamily, clicking
Notebooks, then ThinkPad, then T Series, and then "View Models" under
the T520.

That page loads fine over http, but over https it never loads anything
below the large banner saying "widescreen portability packed with
power", and the status bar gets stuck on "Connecting to
www.lenovovision.com".

- Josh Triplett