[User] subnets

Ranganathan Krishnan rk at selwastor.com
Wed Jan 14 18:18:08 PST 2015

Hi Marc,

  The isolation of LAN, Private WiFi and OpenWireless WiFi into three
separate network segments is something we inherited from CeroWRT. The
rationale behind this, is that by routing traffic between these segments rather
than bridging, we can use the firewall, queuing and traffic shaping rules on
traffic flows between these segments. That seemed like the right design
choice, so I continued with what CeroWRT had done.

 We use firewall rules to account for traffic between these two segments
and the Internet separately. Hence on the dashboard we are able to show
separate uplink/downlink data rates for these two segments. This can help with
debugging performance problems that people are experiencing (since often
this can be due to WiFi, rather than the ISP). If we bridged the two segments
we would not be able to separate the traffic and provide better diagnostics.
We currently do not have any rules restricting IP packet movement between
the Private WiFi and LAN segments. The two networks are currently at the
same privilege level.  We have taken advantage of the network segmentation
to place restrictions on IP packet movement between the openwireless WiFi
segment and Private WiFi/LAN. In the future we could put in rules placing
restrictions on traffic movement between LAN and Private WiFi if it makes
sense.

Unless bridging is really important to you, I'd suggest sticking with the
design we have and making the changes on the router needed to allow
devices and applications on the two different segments to talk to each other.
There is IETF effort to make multiple segments work well for people in the
home (HNET wg etc) so this approach will be feasible and a preferred way
going forward.

Cheers,
Ranga