[User] Setting up openwirless.org for a Draytek Router

Paul Simmonds paul at digitaljingle.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 01:21:25 PDT 2014

There are html pages for setting up routers that include a specific "guest"
function on the site, though these are basic and do not include how to add
extra access points.

My issue with having people like me just submitting a PDF is the lack of
peer review, I could be a complete novice and be exposing my entire home
network to the barbarian hoards.  And even if I know what I am doing then I
can still make a mistake, or miss an extra setting which makes it more
secure.

So the challenge as I see it is this; How do you get as many sets of
configuration instructions, for as many routers as possible, as well as
declaring some routers as "not possible"; while ensuring the instructions
are properly vetted, peer reviewed & tested.

For most of us, we have access to only one router (our personal home
router), so finding someone with a similar Draytek who has a verifiable
level of expertise will be a problem.

Maybe (thinking out loud) you could publish with a rating system, so when I
submit I would be given a questionnaire about what it contains (does it
allow extra AP's for example), and how I rate my expertise.
This with my "expertise" rating would then be published.
When people use it, they can then rate it, along with their level of
expertise, which would give a confidence rating.
"Tested by 2 people with a confidence rating of 60%"

Or maybe you just publish a WIKI for router configuration, and let it be a
free for all, with suitable caveats (and the ability to vote).  Preferably
with pages you can lock down once there is consensus on its a "golden"
configuration.

Regards

Paul

On 13 August 2014 19:16, Ranga Krishnan <ranga at eff.org> wrote:

> Adi and I are discussing a way to keep openwireless.org FAQ/pages updated
> with useful info such as this, fixes etc. It is a bit of effort so we are
> trying to find
> someone who can do this on an on going basis.
>
> On Aug 13, 2014, at 11:04 AM, Jacob S Hoffman-Andrews <jsha at eff.org>
> wrote:
>
>  This is great, thanks for sending along! Are you planning to post this
> publicly anywhere?
>
> Ranga, do we provide any configuration advice on openwireless.org for
> firmware other than the one we ship?
>
> On 08/12/2014 10:38 AM, Paul Simmonds wrote:
>
> My first attempt at documenting setting up openwirless.org on a DrayTek
> router with two additional AP's.
>
> comments, thoughts, enchantments appreciated.
>
> Paul
>
> --
>   Paul Simmonds
>  e: paul at digitaljingle.co.uk