[OpenWireless Tech] Is it safe enough?

Hans of Guardian hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Jul 28 07:26:44 PDT 2014

Its a quite complicated question that depends a lot on where you are in the world, what kinds of websites and network services you are using, whether you are using Tor or a VPN, etc.

One thing is clear: using a wifi network with a password (WEP, WPA, etc) does not guarantee security.  WEP is trivially breakable.  WPA can also be broken and only hides the network traffic from people who are in same spot as you (like less than 100m).  So wifi networks with passwords only address a couple very specific threats.

All that said, there are some risks that are a little increased by using open wifi, but that applies using any open wifi.  So if you are concerned, then never use any open wifi.

.hc