[OpenWireless Tech] Was: greetings! seeking open wireless projects

Sven-Ola Tuecke sven-ola at gmx.de
Mon Apr 21 00:56:37 PDT 2014

Hey,

just stumbled over EFF's initiative for open wireless while poking
around for a tool to on-the-fly change some wifi settings such as rate,
rts, mrate and the like. While browsing the archives, I noticed Dan's
2013 announcement for an approach to embrace typical WLAN offloaders
(e.g. FON, ruckus). Initiative and list responses toggle between "Hey,
we already have free Wifi net, add us to your list" and some VC funded
tech startup snake-oil-or-not arguments.

While not sure about implications and possible outcome, if we (I'm from
Freifunk Berlin/DE with some involment in OpenWrt, Olsrd, and
Batman{-adv}) may partiticate or not, there may be an opportunity to
meet in RL. That is: upcoming Battlemesh 2014, 12th-18th may in
Leipzig/Germany, see http://battlemesh.org/BattleMeshV7. Yes - it's bit
unfair for those living elsewhere: last year WCN in Berlin
(http://2013.wirelesssummit.org/), this year Battlemesh in Leipzig, with
a really stunning CCCC in Hamburg in between. Anyhow, the Battlemesh may
be a good opportunity to discuss.

As a side note: I'm missing ninux.org in the 2013 list responses. Be
sure to watch Saverio on http://vimeo.com/87030048 as well as
Ramon-and-his-chicken on http://vimeo.com/91314599 ;-)

Greetz // Sven-Ola