[OpenWireless Tech] Is openwireless dead?

valent.turkovic at gmail.com valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 01:23:38 PDT 2013

I'm not aware that anybody so far has done a project like guys from
Wlan Slovenia, they have created Nodewatcher [1], a python web app
that makes deploying wifi mesh hotspots almost as easy as creating a
new Facebook account.

Please check out how easy it works, instructions are here:
http://grow.wlan-si.net/wiki/Navodila/Kratka/English

If anybody knows of an open an easy to use project as theirs please
let me know, because I'm really interested and haven't been able to
find anything comparable.

You only need any kind of flat-rate internet connection with no caps
and cheap TP-LINK WR741ND router (or any other that is supported by
OpenWrt) and you can create a hotspot...

Router then connects via vpn to their gateway (exit node) so that your
IP address isn't visible to people using this hotspot and because of
that you are protected as a contributor to this idea of sharing
bandwidth...

I'm currently working with guys from Wlan Slovenia, fixing some bugs,
testing some new features, etc... Idea is to make Nodewatcher and
configuration for exit nodes as easy to copy and deploy as possible so
that this project could be cloned anywhere else...

Everything is open source (software and hardware), there is an wiki
[2] and bugtracker [3] so please check it out any if interested join
the project.

[1] http://dev.wlan-si.net/wiki/Nodewatcher
[2] http://dev.wlan-si.net/
[3] http://dev.wlan-si.net/report/1