[OpenWireless Tech] greetings! seeking open wireless projects

Michael McCarthy mccarthy.mike at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 10:18:47 PDT 2013

Here are a few other projects and resources:
New America's - Commotion wireless
http://oti.newamerica.net/commotion_wireless_0

IA's project in Richmond, CA
http://blog.archive.org/2013/05/08/free-and-fast-roof2roof-internet-available-in-richmond-ca/

OpenMesh:
http://open80211s.org/open80211s/

Ubiquiti makes great low cost hardware for building wisps and community
wifi networks.
http://www.ubnt.com/

Non-profits can get cisco hardware with 90% discount:
http://www.techsoup.org/cisco

Look forward to learning more about EFF and others wireless work.

Mike

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Dan Auerbach <dan at eff.org> wrote:

>  Hi everyone,
>
> We at EFF are writing up a taxonomy of existing "open wireless" commercial
> or non-commercial projects that have launched and would love input from
> folks on this list. So far we are looking at:
>
> Fon - http://corp.fon.com/
> Comcast -
> http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-unveils-plans-for-millions-of-xfinity-wifi-hotspots-through-its-home-based-neighborhood-hotspot-initiative-2
> Karma - https://yourkarma.com/
> Ruckus - http://www.ruckuswireless.com/
> KeyWifi - is this project still active?
>
> We're sure there are many more, and wanted to see if people here could
> help by pointing us towards launched projects to add to the list. It's hard
> to draw a bright line between what counts as a "launched project" vs, say,
> a technical solution. For example, we don't want to include a protocol like
> EAP-SIM or firmware that has optional open wireless as a launched project,
> but firmware that ships with "default on" guest networking might qualify.
> Any suggestions you have are great so don't hesitate to let us know about
> any cool thing related to open wireless, just please don't be offended if
> we decide not to categorize it as a launched project.
>
> Our goal is NOT to promote these solutions, but rather just to give an
> idea of what's out there, what desirable properties each offering has, and
> what properties it lacks. For example, we think decentralized solutions
> that have no captive portals or authentication and are universally
> available are preferred.
>
> We still are working on traffic prioritization and improving guest
> networking features, and plan to update our openwireless.org website soon
> with some research and potential directions for the next phase of open
> wireless. We hope that this as well as the current taxonomy will help guide
> those who are working on open wireless towards productive work that will
> help build the future of truly open wireless that we all want.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Dan Auerbach
> Staff Technologist