[OpenWireless Tech] Open Wireless encryption

Todd Freeman todd at chiwifi.net
Tue Aug 13 10:12:45 PDT 2013

I think that is a very good point to bring up, first, we need to be a lot more clear on what people think these national security letters can ask them to do. I am fairly certain they operate very much in the same was as subpoenas normally do, in that they are requests for information, the only difference is, you cannot refuse the security letter and keep operating your business, and you cannot tell anyone why. The reasons most telcos et al comply is because they would comply with a subpoena anyway, while some pro privacy rights providers can fight it out in court. the latter option is taken away with a security letter. If you do not have the data, you do not have the data, the NSA may pressure someone to tap their lines, the specific methods I will go through next, but they cannot force you to build something for them. The reason you all should be outraged is because the way the NSA compelled providers was simple, they just let providers charge them exorbitant fees for the customer data, once the request volume became so large it was more profitable to let the nsa tap in directly and feign some procedure, it was the easiest money they ever made and allowed the telco monopolies rake in record profits despite bulk bandwidth pricing being cheaper then ever. This was not some hostile takeover by the NSA, everyone was sold out for the greed of corporations. It still stand that you cannot give them data that you don't have especially if you do not place logging options and offloading in the first place, by using hardware that does not support it, I think the problem is that not very many people on this list have access cards to the equinix facilities and thus are not as familiar with the specifics of how the backbone of the internet actually works.