[OpenWireless Tech] Open Wireless encryption

michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Tue Aug 13 08:23:54 PDT 2013

Hi!

On 00:25 Tue 13 Aug     , Todd Freeman wrote:
> That being said there are a few things I want to point out. To start I don't think it is fair to call the setup proposed as free wifi, it's community subsidized. As far as I can tell, most participants still need to be paying for service from the traditional internet provider,

Where has he said anything anything about "free wifi"? Also, I think that your
definition of free is very narrow.

> correct me if I am wrong here, anyfi seems to be more like an open-access TOR, but with terrible security.

I do not see how anyfi compares to TOR at all. Why do you think that?

> The way we at the Chicago WiFi Project have been dealing with this is by using centralized enterprise security (openldap/radius) for the logins/connection security, logins are never tied to any hardware identifier and are obtained anonymously. On top of that we do not keep connection logs for longer then 48hrs (only to mitigate network abuse originating from inside the network) this means we are unable to comply with information requests from law agencies that take longer then 48hrs to process, for reference the DMCA allows us to take upto 7days to respond.

And what do you intend to do when you receive a national security letter?

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com