[OpenWireless Tech] The police came to the AP owner first, then sniffed the air to find real culprit​​

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Nov 28 23:03:42 PST 2012

>>>>> "Brad" == Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> writes:

Russell> The legitimacy of that concern is a function of the
Russell> jurisdiction, which you continue to conflate worldwide.
Russell> Please begin your fear-mongering with an indication of the
Russell> jurisdiction you are assuming, because it matters.

Russell> In my jurisdiction, the US, your concern is wildly overblown,
Russell> if constantly reinforced by FUD claims in the media.

Brad> Kettle, meet pot.  You can't claim that your jurisdiction is
Brad> universal to the entire US, any more than anyone else can claim
Brad> their jurisdiction is universal to any other large part of the
Brad> world.

I was specifically disclaiming universality.  While it may be
difficult and dangerous in one place, it may not be difficult and
dangerous in another.  By constantly harping on the places it is
difficult and dangerous, and implying that it is so everywhere, you
scare people where it is not.  Please stop that.  If you want your
scary stories to have any value, say where they are relevant.  I can
tell unscary stories and say where they are relevant, and we can all
become better educated about the topology of scaryness.

This evening, someone told me about a story where Tor users (not exit
nodes, iirc, just people using Tor) were arrested.  I asked where.  He
didn't know.  He looked it up and told me it was Ethiopia.  Should I
stop using Tor because I might get arrested, because someone in
Ethiopia was arrested?

That's a rhetorical question.

Please, let's not scare people where it isn't scary.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net