[OpenWireless Tech] mesh at "endpoints"

Mark Adam dreamingforward at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:27:41 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Christian Huldt <christian at solvare.se> wrote:
> 2012-11-10 kl. 03:40 skrev Adam Longwill:
>
>> I have been watching this conversation grow over the past few weeks and I think it's time I pipe up because the conversation is beginning to get in to territory that has already been pretty well trod. Start here: http://www.kurzweilai.net/project-meshnet-aims-to-build-a-censorship-free-alternative-to-the-internet and then head on over to reddit.com/r/darknetplan to see what the developers (mainly in New York, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City here in the states) are working on a few different feasible solutions.
> Coordinated may just be another word for breakable.
> I think the approaches are complementary, an anonymous mesh on top of the internet, and sharing wireless bandwidth so everyone could get online.
> The anonymous mesh on top of the internet does not help a lot if you can't get online.

On that note,  you both should also get aware of the NextNet project
(aka. building-a-distributed-decentralized-internet).  It has/had a
significant mindshare which culminated in ContactCon (VenessaMiemis)
but then petered-out when little materialized.  What still remains
viable as far as I know is project Byzantium
(http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12/08/15/1054246/project-byzantium-zero-to-ad-hoc-mesh-network-in-60-seconds-video).
 Of course, somewhere there is still the hopefuls left over from
Seattle Wireless (speakeasy.org folks) and others.

Cheers!
markj
gothenburg, nebraska