[OpenWireless Tech] mesh at "endpoints"

Christian Huldt christian at solvare.se
Tue Nov 13 13:32:07 PST 2012

2012-11-10 kl. 03:40 skrev Adam Longwill:

> I have been watching this conversation grow over the past few weeks and I think it's time I pipe up because the conversation is beginning to get in to territory that has already been pretty well trod. Start here: http://www.kurzweilai.net/project-meshnet-aims-to-build-a-censorship-free-alternative-to-the-internet and then head on over to reddit.com/r/darknetplan to see what the developers (mainly in New York, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City here in the states) are working on a few different feasible solutions.
>
> I should say that I'm biased, being one of these developers, towards a coordinated mesh net project instead of the EFF's (who we love!) more genteel "please, pretty please, donate your spare bandwidth" approach. OpenWireless seems to want to provide just that- open wireless- in a country with nearly ubiquitous free wifi coverage already.

This world is not yet one country

> Open Wireless does not address the major problems with connectivity: privacy of traffic and anonymity (ok, it kinda protects anonymity as if you share your bandwidth you don't know who is riding it exactly).

Anonymity can be vital iff you get on the net.
First things first. (Though I'm not against everything now)

> We need a more coordinated approach than the EFF's endeavor. Please check out those sites above and join in on the conversation.

Coordinated may just be another word for breakable.
I think the approaches are complementary, an anonymous mesh on top of the internet, and sharing wireless bandwidth so everyone could get online.
The anonymous mesh on top of the internet does not help a lot if you can't get online.