[OpenWireless Tech] "Open-mesh"

Christian Huldt christian at solvare.se
Wed Nov 7 10:26:05 PST 2012

2012-11-07 kl. 18:09 skrev Eugene Smiley:

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Christian Huldt <christian at solvare.se> wrote:
>
> Well, I don't think are ready to try to cover any large part of anything with pure mesh,
>
> But if the issue doesn't get brought up early it will come back to haunt us in the future. It's something that needs to be considered from the beginning.

Of course, but I don't believe it is a unsolvable problem

> I like the idea of the Open-Mesh products, but I feel they are overpriced for the value provided.

open-mesh.com is not related to open-mesh.org that develops the open source software running on open-mesh.com's products, it is perfectly doable (and being done) to run that on other products, usually it is said that you need to run openwrt on the devices, but I would believe that is sufficient to run a linux kernel > 2.6.15 or something like that.

That said, the mesh protocol used by open-mesh is batman_adv that meshes at layer 2, which means that in order to operate a normal accesspoint at the same time you need two radios (which might contribute to those prices), so we might want to consider olsr (used by funkfeuer.at) or babel both of which meshes at layer three, so one radio is enough

http://www.olsr.org/
http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/babel/

I also think that we should condsider serval which primariƶy aimed at android phones but is being ported to openwrt

http://www.servalproject.org/

And of course, the american projects

http://project-byzantium.org/
https://commotionwireless.net/

which uses software from a few of the open source projects above.
Both are aimed at being easy, though project-byzantium is more aimed at laptops AFAIK