[OpenWireless Tech] "Open-mesh"

Christian Huldt christian at solvare.se
Wed Nov 7 08:53:42 PST 2012

2012-11-07 kl. 17:05 skrev Eugene Smiley:

> Mesh networks in general don't scale into the hundreds or thousands well from what I have read in various places. The routing tables get huge fast.

Well, I don't think are ready to try to cover any large part of anything with pure mesh, but if the routers we've been talking about here would do mesh with each other the router owner would get access to the net even if his/her ISP has problems and one could place intermediate routers to cover certain spots.
batman_adv (which I believe is the mesh protocol used by open-mesh.com products) implemented a distributed routing table this summer, so nodes would just have the entries they need, which in the scenarios I've seen here wouldn't be much as almost every router would be a gateway (OTOH "this summer" means that it has probably not reached commercial products yet, so you would have to flash your router).