[OpenWireless Tech] "Open-mesh"

Eugene Smiley eug.smiley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 08:05:26 PST 2012

I have used Open-Mesh hardware and currently Cloudtrax has issues with
scalability. There are times when the interface is down or sluggish.

Mesh networks in general don't scale into the hundreds or thousands well
from what I have read in various places. The routing tables get huge fast.

The hardware they currently have for sale starts at $79, but you can find
other comparable hardware for much cheaper. I own a WRT54G v2, Open-Mesh
OM1P, Ubiquity Nanostation Loco M2, and my favorite TP-Link WR703N 3g
router. The WR703N can be picked up for around $25, has 802.11n, can be
expanded via USB, and is small (about 2" x 2" x .5")

Open-Mesh used to have community involvement. It doesn't seem to have that
much these days. Many OM1P and OM2P users go into the Ubiquity line due the
more powerful units in that product line. All of these products are OpenWRT
derivatives or are able to run OpenWRT.