[OpenWireless Tech] No probl/ which VPN

"Andy Green (林安廸)" andy at warmcat.com
Wed Nov 7 02:27:16 PST 2012

On 11/07/12 15:38, the mail apparently from Natanael included:

> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.blinkt.openvpn
>
> Root free OpenVPN for Android!

Very cool, I didn't know about that.  Thanks for pointing it out.

> I'll just say this: No VPN or other proxy + untrusted routers = only a
> minor security advantage against active attackers over the current way
> of doing things. (Though much more secure against passive attackers, but
> active attacks are easy on WiFi.)
>
> Please, go with VPN:s of some sort. As I suggested before, put a link in
> the client to a database over trusted VPN:s, including free ones. Let it
> pick one from there.

Right, but we probably need a reference implementation.

It seems that the "Tomato" firmware might do

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

someone mentioned in the comments for the Android openvpn client they
had connected to openvpn server running on that using the Android
client.  And that runs on a bunch of cheap and widely-available routers.

Or if anyone has a better idea, let us know.

The bit of magic that's missing is being able to run a completely normal
WPA network and this unencrypted one at the same time.  I think how to
do that (and if it's possible) will depend on the chipset a lot and
might require AP vendor manufacturer cooperation.

But Tomato+cheap Broadcomm router looks like it could become a
plug-and-play add-on type reference platform, plug it into the

The missing work would be netfilter rules to restrict the WLAN interface
to stateful VPN traffic only.

Looking here

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/browser/sample-config-files/firewall.sh?rev=2d4e7685cd1a6d8e1eb1befa241b7595809d3b45

We need something like

iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -p udp --dport 1194 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -d 10.0.0.0/8 -p udp -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -d 192.168.0.0/16 -p udp -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -d 172.16.0.0/12 -p udp -j DROP

However iptables can do stateful VPN inspection which is probably
better, I have no idea how to do it though.

While it's not built-in to his main ISP home router, he'll also need to
put its local network address as forwarded for UDP 1194 or just name it
as in the DMZ.

Then, if it's configured for wlan0 unencrypted with an ssid like
"fvo-myap" (Free Vpen-Only), people should be able to walk up to it with
their phone and get a vpn link to their server.  At the same time, it
acts as the VPN server for the AP owner.  That's quite a lot of the plan
implemented.

-Andy