[OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking

Todd Todd at chiwifi.net
Tue Nov 6 04:25:29 PST 2012

What do you think is more sustainable in the long run for world-wide
free wifi:

A) everyone is beholden to current ISP monopolies and politicians whim,
as well as throttling, lets we forget comcast and sandvines, and assume
they wont apply that to VPNs for some reason, and just use technology in
innovative ways to dodge the grey areas of the law.

B) create an open source, turn-key WISP that can be deployed for any
size organization, and because its based on standards, if there are
multiple networks in an area, they can merge users easily. Which also
means that each org must be democratic or the users would just leave for
one that is.

Which in-turn makes last mile ISPs like comcat and att and verison and
everyone else, obsolete.

A) is the status quo, and already has tons of commercial competition
B) does not exist yet.

side note, unless you are planning to have the router owners pay for VPN
end points, or are expecting the open wireless project to pay for all
the VPN end points, then the only option that actually exists is VPNs to
home.

VPNs are not free, someone has to pay, the only question is, are you
paying once or twice for that bandwidth.

My incentivization scheeme does not have VPNs in it, so I do not need to
worry about getting people to use them.
It also does not expose the people who host the wifi antennas to any
risk. In-fact it makes all users, including the tower owners, anonymous
by default. Did I mention the free wifi part ?

My plan has many incentives built in.