[OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking

"Andy Green (林安廸)" andy at warmcat.com
Tue Nov 6 03:46:18 PST 2012

On 11/06/12 19:37, the mail apparently from Todd included:

> Why should anyone feel responsible for giving anyone else internet, when
> they are paying for out of their own pocket for it?
> What do they get in return ?

Well, the VPN thing is to try to reduce the "responsibility" to zero and
eliminate that downside.

They can throttle the leechers how they like as well, and / or QoS them
down so the real user never even notices them.

I guess it boils down to if they contribute, and there's a useful
critical mass, then they are free to "be the leecher" when they need it.
  For example, if you visit other countries, roaming rates make it
insane to casually use Internet on your SIM.

This way, you might get a reasonable facsimile of continuous internet
connection for receiving email etc as you walk around a city.  Or if you
are stuck in a hotel with expensive Internet, if there are other APs
nearby you will be able to get by.

Actually those are quite nice benefits that could appear worldwide if
this scheme took off.  For that, it would be ideal if AP manufacturers
included the support and enabled it by default alongside the regular WPA
network so the AP owner's own traffic remains safe.

And again the other part is that APs should be ready to be the VPN
server for the owner when he is roaming.

-Andy