[OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking

"Andy Green (林安廸)" andy at warmcat.com
Mon Nov 5 07:14:49 PST 2012

On 11/05/12 18:01, the mail apparently from Huub Schuurmans included:

>> Subject: [OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking
>>
>> I love the idea of open wireless access, but I have a what if question. What
>> happens if someone uses my open access point to connect to the Internet and
>> commit some sort of crime? Isn't the police going to trace that back to my
>> home, and accuse me of doing it?
>>

> This is definitely a serious problem. Not only because of liability, but
> many ISP's will cut you off. Even if somebody sends bot-traffic over
> your internet-connection (which is strictly speaking not illegal) the
> ISP may disconnect you.
>
> One way to prevent this kind of use by installing a proxy gateway that
> only allows http-traffic. But this requires setting a proxy in the users
> browser and the user has to know this, of course.

This is why there is so much talk about VPN here.

If the AP only routes valid UDP VPN traffic, it solves the issue completely.

[ client -> {encryption VPN client ] ->

                                           AP NAT IP

   [ open WLAN ] ->

                                           AP's Internet IP

    [ VPN server decryption} ] ->

                                           VPN server IP

      [target on internet]

You can see the AP IP address only makes it as far as the VPN server.
The entity that goes out on the internet to the target is the VPN server
IP which the client is responsible for.

If the AP owner only routes VPN traffic, he has nothing to worry about.

-Andy