[OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking

Huub Schuurmans huubsch at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 5 02:01:55 PST 2012

> Subject: [OpenWireless Tech] A small question about tracking
>
> I love the idea of open wireless access, but I have a what if question. What
> happens if someone uses my open access point to connect to the Internet and
> commit some sort of crime? Isn't the police going to trace that back to my
> home, and accuse me of doing it?

This is definitely a serious problem. Not only because of liability, but
many ISP's will cut you off. Even if somebody sends bot-traffic over
your internet-connection (which is strictly speaking not illegal) the
ISP may disconnect you.

One way to prevent this kind of use by installing a proxy gateway that
only allows http-traffic. But this requires setting a proxy in the users
browser and the user has to know this, of course.

Kind regards,
Huub