[OpenWireless Tech] Hello World

michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Fri Nov 2 04:51:14 PDT 2012

Hi!

On 05:38 Fri 02 Nov     , Todd Freeman wrote:
> Here is an example of how it is not sustainable:
> You goto coffeshop for lunch, which is a part of the network, the
> network is well known, 20 other people are in the coffeshop and want to
> use it too. 2 of them are playing youtube on their phone. And wondering
> why its buffering every 5sec.
>
> a block switches to netb (this is what I am calling this hypothetical
> network) who pays for the uplink for the block ? How are they supposed
> to convince a carrier to offer anything faster then residential to their
> area ?

The carriers will take care themselves that their networks are not overloaded
by AP owners at the cost of other customers. When needed will provide the
connections for free and charge per GB or so. Also, a connection from one of
these carriers will be faster than a hotspot or mesh network. I do not believe
that we will ever get even close to this point where telcos get in trouble.

> If they are just each supposed to have their own, then how is this
> supposed to take hold in any area that is poor ? or lacks large
> infrastructure ?

What does an AP change, if your uplink is a prepaid mobile network paid by
use? Mesh networks might change things - by building infrastructure. They
might perform quite well - little traffic and governments which filter and
blackout like cracy.

> It's cool, the poors don't need internet anyway.

I'd say it's the poor who profit from cheap connectivity - that is if they can
afford the devices to connect.

> And we can just NAT
> everyone who wants to connect to the internet, this system must be
> useless for anything other then browsing websites.
>
> Let us please take into account there is no more ipv4 available, NAT is
> retarded, and if you want your network to connect to the greater
> internet and not just each other, you are going to need more then just
> NAT. You need real routing and your own IP space. I will not be building
> a network designed purely for consumption.

There is UPnP, VPNs, hosters, ... Also IPv6 will probably come, whether we
like its design or not. I'd say this is the least of our worries.

> also, what internet crash are you talking about ? The only time the
> internet has ever "crashed" is when level3 and cogent stopped peering
> for a couple days like 5 years ago, and when someone forgot to teach
> iran how routing ASes works.

Well, people screamed that the internet will be overloaded if the traffic
growth continues. The crash never happened. Nowadays, if you hear that it is
usually because a provider wants to start with traffic shaping.

	-Michi