[OpenWireless Tech] Hello World

Todd Freeman todd at chiwifi.net
Fri Nov 2 03:02:07 PDT 2012

I am not sure if that's quite how it would work,  the reason radius is
used for auth, is because it handles both auth and IP assignment, which
is how it can set things like QOS on connections based on credentials.

So I do not think you could have multiple routers with different ISPs
using the same radius server sometimes but not other times, what you
would actually have to do, is add a bridge between the WiDi and their
home router and then tunnel all the traffic to the radius server. This
is fine for transient internet usage, but as I stated, I would hope for
it to be used more widely and more often then that, which would require
more capacity to be donated by each router, many ISPs are already
placing 500gb caps on their users (comcast). so if large number of
people used this, it would just strain the hosts which will eventually
abandon it because of getting throttled when it becomes popular.

Minimal costs need to be incurred by the router owners if we want the
system to be even reasonably large.
But in this model 100% of the costs and also shaky legal liability (if
they are not using vpn) are on the router owners.

VPNs do remove liability from router owners, but tunnelling from one
persons home connection to your home connection to the internet, triples
the traffic required to do anything on the internet, this is not
sustainable on an even moderate scale.