[OpenWireless Tech] On VPNs

Christopher Byrd chris at riosec.com
Thu Jul 28 13:43:58 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:28 PM, "Andy Green (林安廸)" <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:
> That's just FUD.

How is this Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt? I think it's a core
inconsistency with the discussion. No one has proven that there is
liability for hotspot operators, or that intentionally blinding
yourself to the traffic reduces that liability.

> Well this will be the third or fourth time I proposed that home routers
> provide VPN service on the WAN side literally "for free" since it's part of
> the router firmware then, and in a massively distributed way since it would
> just be another router firmware feature.  So, the user connects to his own
> home router as VPN server.

And this is the second time I've told you that not everyone has a home
router, or even a home broadband Internet connection. I'm glad that
you are fortunate enough to have both, I'd be willing to bet that the
majority of open wireless users don't.

> Waving your hands around is not argumentation.
>
> VPNs work securely today on unencrypted WLANs in Starbucks or whatever,
> without operating at "a lower layer": if you believe that is not true please
> go ahead and explain why.

I think I have already, but here goes..

* Because most people don't have VPN
* Because most people can't set up VPN
* Because VPN doesn't provide adequate protection
* Because VPN just moves the problem elsewhere
* Because a VPN solution is economically unfeasible

Christopher