[SSL Observatory] Perspectives on Convergence of EFF, EPIC, SSL, TOR, NSA, ET CETERA

Ralph Holz holz at net.in.tum.de
Mon Nov 7 14:36:00 PST 2011

Hi,

>> That's the point Phillip was referring, too. But the more interesting
>> question to me seems here: if CAs = the companies operate sub-CAs, why
>> do so many CA = companies have several root certificates in NSS?
>
> I think everyone here agrees that multiple CA certificates does not equal
> independent sub-CAs.

I was just wondering why some companies have added several root certs in
the past, and others haven't. I think I once went through the NSS root
store and found that this number is also unequally distributed.

> The Microsoft trusted root certificate program does a clearer job of
> indicating which root CAs are controlled by which organizations.
>
> https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2592.aspx

That's useful. I think Kathleen Wilson of Mozilla operates a similar
list, although when I checked it a while ago I didn't find it too
accessible.

Ralph