[HTTPS-Everywhere] release schedule

William Budington bill at eff.org
Tue Jun 7 15:19:39 PDT 2016

Hello Jonas,

Last month, I instituted a system by which ruleset maintainers are notified of a forthcoming release with a Github issue:

https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/issues/4710

This is helpful for maintainers to finish up any work on pending rulesets or features that might be in the pipeline.

There is also a tag for this: "release-forthcoming," to easily group these type of issues.

Since this process has been instituted, a new milestone has been added to the project - "Before Next Release," to mark issues that are particularly pressing and should be resolved before the next release.

This process is a convenience, but it may not necessarily be followed - for example if there is a grave vulnerability and a release needs to be issued immediately.

A little while ago, we decided that our git workflow would be that anything merged into master is 'release-ready,' which is why we no longer have a branch specifically for features that are in pre-release stages.

As a general rule of thumb, if a ruleset is old enough that it was added to the bulk whitelist for validation checks, it's old enough to warrant a complete rewrite.  We could be more explicit about this rule of thumb.

The reason for not updating the rulesets over the air is because the rulesets themselves require as much of a signoff as the codebase itself, since any rule can transparently redirect a user to any arbitrary endpoint.  Because of this, we have to subject it to the same signing process.  At that point, might as well make a new release.  I'd love to get the release schedule to a couple of times a month.  Since taking over the project, the releases have been about once a month.

Hope this helps clarify things,
Bill Budington
Software Engineer
Electronic Frontier Foundation