[HTTPS-Everywhere] release schedule

sjw at gmx.ch sjw at gmx.ch
Tue Jun 7 11:12:07 PDT 2016

Hi

I would like to start a discussion about the current release schedule of
HTTPS-Everywhere.

It seems that there is no official release management at the moment.
There is actually no roadmap or milestones when a new version should be
released. From time to time there is an update, but not regularly and
without a separation between bugfixes and new features.
There are also no such branches, like the Git workflow would recommend.

This makes it hard to add ruleset changes. It's not clear whether a rule
should just be fixed or rewritten. Just fixing mostly result in failing
tests, because the whole rule was written years ago.
Sadly HTTPS-Everywhere can't update the rules without updating the whole
extension. So if a rule get fixed it takes months before a new release
ship this fix - together with a bunch of other changes and new features.

I think the reason for not updating the ruleset on the air is privacy in
Tor. But could this be an optional feature for non-Tor browsers? This
would also allow to beta test critical rules.
There was also a discussion about spiting the repo in core and rulesets,
but this has the drawback that commit logs get lost.

Can we define a future way how we handle those points to improve code
health and transparency of HTTPS-Everywhere?

Regards,
Jonas