[HTTPS-Everywhere] Help needed: Settings window and memory / CPU profiling

Drake, Brian brian at drakefamily.tk
Thu Jul 2 18:24:06 PDT 2015

Hi everyone

I don’t have time to work on HTTPS Everywhere now, but I still read these
messages occasionally.

Please don’t go the same way as Mozilla, who seems determined to keep users
and their settings apart! If no one has time to implement the query idea
properly, then keep the current settings window, but make the user click
through a warning before displaying the list (the format of the warning
could be similar to about:config; the topic of the warning could be similar
to when you open a large number of tabs at once). Presumably this is not
much harder than moving the “Reset to Defaults” button to a new location.

At the very least, include a link to documentation on how these settings
are stored or instructions on alternative ways to access them.

Here are a couple of related things:

   1. Of course, the user can already perform queries. But try entering a
   query, then using the scrollbar. The list seems to disappear! Presumably
   this is because the space allowed for displaying the list is large enough
   to fit the full list, even when only part of the list is being displayed,
   due to the user entering a query. This really should be fixed.
   2. This is not important, but it would be nice for the user to be able
   to display a list of rulesets that are not at their default setting.

--
Brian Drake