[HTTPS-Everywhere] Avira wants to contribute

Thorsten Sick thorsten.sick at avira.com
Thu Feb 26 02:12:19 PST 2015

Hello Jacob

Thanks for the reply. I added all the bugs mentioned below to our bug
backlog. We already had the task to increase rule coverage, the list
will help a lot to put in the right priorities.

We also have some ideas what to improve in HTTPs everywhere. After
internal discussions we will open up bugs in your bugtracker for public
discussion. They are not ready yet :-)

About the Aviator:
We saw that already. I am really glad our plan for the browser should
cover those issues. Simplified it is:

- Spend lots of time on automatic merge, build, test (that's our main
task now)
- Send as much changes as possible upstream, reducing merge conflicts
(branding can not be sent upstream...)
- Implement as many features as possible in extensions
        - If extension API is missing: Add it to the browser and send it upstream
=> We should be able to release in sync with the chromium releases

The security benefit for the users we are aiming for depends on bundling
cool tools (our target audience does not even know extensions exist) and
especially using our existing in-house classification technology and
databases to map the dark alleys of the internet. There is also some
behavior-style detection in the pipeline.

<not promising anything yet :-) >

<Feedback welcome>

Cheers
Thorsten Sick

--
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG
Kaplaneiweg 1 | 88069 Tettnang | Deutschland / Germany

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRA 722586 | USt.-IdNr.: DE 815289569 | Pers. haftende Gesellschafterin: Avira OP GmbH | Firmensitz: Tettnang | Registergericht: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 726712 | Geschäftsführer: Travis Witteveen

Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRA 722586 | VAT-ID: DE 815289569 | Personally Liable Partner: Avira OP GmbH | Headquarters: Tettnang | Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 726712 | Chief Executive Officer (CEO): Travis Witteveen