[HTTPS-Everywhere] Avira wants to contribute

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Wed Feb 25 11:08:08 PST 2015

Thorsten Sick writes:

> - Modifying Chromium to fit the needs of HTTPs-everywhere (i've been
> told there are issues....maybe someone has details)

Hi Thorsten, nice to hear from you!  I just wanted to mention this
point is discussed in

https://lists.eff.org/pipermail/https-everywhere/2014-January/thread.html#1901

and elsewhere -- you can take a look at the Firefox and Chromium bugs
that are linked from Jacob's quoted message.

I think I was the person who told you that, and that is the main
difficulty right now.  The problem is that Chromium will block mixed
content before allowing us to rewrite the insecure URLs to secure URLs,
even though the resulting secure URLs would no longer count as mixed
content.  The Chromium developers have described this as working as
intended; for us, it means that there are sites that we could otherwise
fix that instead we break or else leave insecure.

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen at eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/