[HTTPS-Everywhere] Ruleset Changes Without Restart

Yan Zhu yan at eff.org
Tue Jan 28 17:02:45 PST 2014

Oh, also, if you want to change rulesets on the fly without
restarting, I think this would work:

1. Open up the HTTPS Everywhere directory in your Firefox profile (on
my Linux machine, it's at
~/.mozilla/firefox/PROFILE_NAME/extensions/https-everywhere at eff.org/.

2. cd into this directory and edit
./chrome/content/rules/default.rulesets. (Since this file is minified
xml and difficult to read, a better way is to git-clone HTTPS
Everywhere, change the xml rule file in the ./chrome/content/rules
directory, run ./makexpi.sh, and copy-and-paste the new
./chrome/content/rules/default.rulesets file from the git directory
into your Firefox profile directory.)

3. In Firefox, toggle one of the previously-mentioned prefs in
about:config to force ruleset re-initialization.

- -Yan