[HTTPS-Everywhere] Rules not loaded until website is visited

Claudio Moretti flyingstar16 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 07:27:10 PST 2014

Hello everyone,

probably this has come up already, or it was done on purpose, but after the
switch to the sqlite version, the rulesets list in "Enable/Disable rules"
is populated only after a website is visited (screenshots at the bottom).

I don't know how this happens, but it concerns me a bit:

suppose we disable by default a rule (because it's partial, mixedcontent,
or by mistake); an user that is visiting that page for the first time,
might want to have HTTPS enabled even if problematic; this, though, does
not allow him/her to do so before visiting the page for the first time,
therefore defeating the primary purpose of HTTPS-E.

To be sure this was still happening, I compiled the latest version [1] and
ran my tests against it. It's still happening.

IMHO users might get confused about not seeing any rule or very few rules
the first time they open the rule list menu; it happened to me: I thought
for a moment there was a problem and no rules were pulled into the
extension. It took me a while to realize what was happening.

Can we do anything about it or does it defeat the purpose of speeding
everything up, which was one of the reasons behind the migration to sqlite?

Cheers,

Claudio

Screenshots:
1) Fresh opening; first page is about:blank
http://imageshack.com/a/img706/9383/iagw.png
2) 1st website visited: google.com
http://imageshack.com/a/img811/1602/jg9s.png
3) 2nd website visited: yahoo.com
http://imageshack.com/a/img401/7885/yawi.png
4) Search "msn" while still on yahoo.com
http://imageshack.com/a/img829/2919/8hlm.png
5) 3rd website visited: msn.com
http://imageshack.com/a/img89/4771/zqxx.png
6) Search "msn" after visiting msn.com
http://imageshack.com/a/img829/7352/frqi.png

[1] commit db8441dc84dc5dc04250bd555b8888ec3879ba41
Merge: 5257feb 1f743d5
Author: Peter Eckersley <pde at eff.org>
Date:   Tue Feb 11 09:01:08 2014 -0800

    Merge remote-tracking branch 'negres/master'

https-everywhere-4.0development.15~pre.xpi     2078 KB     2014-02-15
03:05:20 PM