[HTTPS-Everywhere] Problems with Chrome?!

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Thu Dec 18 15:53:14 PST 2014

On 2014-12-18 07:49, Nick Semenkovich wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:02 AM, Dave Warren <davew at hireahit.com> wrote:
>> Sure, but I see absolutely nothing relating to HTTPS Everywhere. And nothing
>> new if I hit the same site with HTTPS Everywhere enabled vs disabled.
>>
>> I'm really not sure where to go from here. This is Chrome's latest
>> -stable/release channel, not even a beta version. I also tried disabling all
>> other extensions, just in case -- But this profile is synchronized to
>> another computer which does work fine.
> Real weird indeed. You've tried removing & re-installing the HTTPSe extension?
>
> Beyond a chrome bug, my only thought is that the local HTTPSe has been
> corrupted / damaged -- which a reinstall might fix. (Some adware has
> also learned to actively inject/manipulate Chrome's extension code in
> local profiles -- there's now a "Extension Content Verification"
> that's slowly launching to prevent this)

I did re-install, just in case. I'm going to try a completely fresh
Chrome profile, but I currently have three on this machine and it
doesn't seem to show up on any of the three. All three are synchronized
to other places (two personal, one work, synchronized to other machines)
and HTTPS Everywhere shows up in the synchronized profiles.

While malware is possible, this actually started when the machine was
very nearly brand new, and there aren't any other signs of anything
nasty going on, but I'll try and figure out what is the current malware
scanner to run and give it a shot just to rule it out.

Oh and something weirder -- I tried allowing it to run in Incognito, I
don't get the icon, but if I click where the icon should be, I get the
HTTPS Everywhere menu. In regular mode, there is nothing there, it's
just URL bar.

So weird.

It's got to be a Chrome bug, this is my only machine that is High DPI
and touchscreen enabled, Chrome has a whole host of eccentricities in
this environment (but most are just cases where it pulls up the on
screen keyboard when it shouldn't or hides it when I'm typing, or similar)

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/