[HTTPS-Everywhere] Problems with Chrome?!

Nick Semenkovich nick at semenkovich.com
Tue Dec 16 07:35:49 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 12:58 AM, Dave Warren <davew at hireahit.com> wrote:
> On 2014-12-13 09:14, Nick Semenkovich wrote:
>>
>> Gosh, that's a strange problem. I haven't seen anything like this on
>> many iterations of chrome.
>>
>> Dave & Alexander:
>>
>> Can you pull up the extension developer tools to see if HTTPSe is
>> logging anything?
>>
>> That is:
>> 1. Open the extensions panel in chrome: chrome://extensions
>> 2. Click the "Developer Mode" checkbox
>> 3. Scroll down to HTTPSe and click on "background page" next to Inspect
>> 4. Click on "Console" -- then copy & paste any error messages
>>
>> You might also want to enable more verbose debugging, by typing into
>> the console:
>> DEFAULT_LOG_LEVEL=1
>>

> "Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its
> detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check
> http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/"

Ah, I see that now too -- though it looks like a warning, so unlikely
to be the cause of this issue.

(OTOH the only place we do that is loading the ruleset list at launch.)

> I'm not seeing anything else, but I'm not especially familiar with Chrome's
> extension developer tools. I'm not sure if I need to refresh after setting
> DEFAULT_LOG_LEVEL or what, but nothing else jumped out at me.

After you type DEFAULT_LOG_LEVEL=1 <press enter> ... if you go back to
browsing around, you should see lots of console log messages per site
you visit.

e.g. opening my console at launch results in:

> util.js:12 Hey developer! Want to see more verbose logging?
> util.js:13 Type this into the console: DEFAULT_LOG_LEVEL=1
> rules.js:88 Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.
> util.js:21 Loading rulesets took 1.128 seconds

[I set the log level to 1]
> DEFAULT_LOG_LEVEL=1
<- 1

[I open a new tab]
> util.js:21 Ruleset cache hit for www.google.com items:8
> util.js:21 Ruleset cache hit for ssl.gstatic.com items:1
> util.js:21 Ruleset cache hit for www.google.com items:8
> util.js:21 Cookie host cache hit for google.com
... [lots more] ...

--
Nick Semenkovich
Laboratory of Dr. Jeffrey I. Gordon