[HTTPS-Everywhere] Chrome 2014.8.22 ("extremely stable") released

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Aug 22 16:46:50 PDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 07:21:41PM -0400, Jacob S Hoffman-Andrews wrote:

> On 08/22/2014 07:14 PM, Peter Eckersley wrote:
> >The underlying problem is that sometimes that bug causes havoc in which
> >we rewrite the top level page to HTTPS, and then the mixed content
> >blocker kicks in and blocks scripts before we can rewrite their URLs to
> >HTTPS (!).
> I believe that's a different, but closely related bug. My approach
> would not be to downgrade both extensions to beta, but to say "lots
> of people have been happily using both extensions; they are of
> similar quality; let's call them both stable."
>
> I also think that the work we've done disabling the sites that run
> into MCB trouble has made that bug much less severe than it used to
> be.

That's a reasonable argument.

To maximise how true it is we should also make a habit of running the
MCB trigger tests periodically, and turning off the rulesets that they
warn about.

Those tests can be found by toggling
extensions.https_everywhere.show_ruleset_tests to true in about:config,
after which they'll be in the HTTPS Everywhere menu.  They should be
able to give us data on which rulesets are obviously causing cert
warnings and MCB...

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131